Urbex-Leeds - Yorkshire & Leeds Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome To UrbexLeeds - Leeds & Yorkshire Forums
UrbexLeeds Is Changing.....Please Excuse Our Mess
Register Now To Use The UrbexLeeds Forums
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Anyone feel the need to be MOD?
Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 6:14 pm by meanwood_monks
Been thinking about this for a while now.

Some of you guys/gals have been here since day 1. Cheers for all your support over this time.
Was wondering if anyone was wanting to keep an eye on things and have MOD rights here.

Comments: 15
Latest topics
» Low Mill, Keighley, Dec 08 8 pics and 1 painting
Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 01, 2012 8:37 pm by Herb 'n' Myth

» Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway
Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 5:51 am by phill.d

» Dalton Mills Keighley
Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. I_icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2011 11:46 am by dervish99

» Disused passenger subway, Horbury, Yorks, Jan '09 10 snaps
Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 4:52 pm by Assassini

» The Batley Carr tunnel May '09 9 pictures
Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 4:50 pm by Assassini

» Various tunnels, pipes, caves and orifice related shizzle, West Yorkshire Jan-May 0'9 15 pics
Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 4:46 pm by Assassini

» Epic 12 mile tunnel explore under the Pennines
Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 4:41 pm by Assassini

» Anyone feel the need to be MOD?
Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 1:04 pm by urbexmonks

» Midland Mills Bradford march 2010
Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2010 1:52 pm by COOPSLEEDS

» Thorpe Marsh Doncaster (pic heavy) March 2010
Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2010 1:50 pm by COOPSLEEDS

» Mollett Catering Supplies aka Thompson Mill, Bradford
Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 2:52 pm by Bucolic

» Healey Mills Goods Yard (29 images)
Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 2:51 am by urbexsoiler

» Healey Mills goods yard, Horbury - May '09
Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 4:46 pm by james-dolan

» Mollets - Bradford
Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 11:00 am by james-dolan

» Victoria & Hunslet Mills, Leeds- June 09
Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 10:50 am by Mexico75

» thorpe marsh power station jan 10
Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 3:52 am by Canonite101

» another Eastmoor set (3rd Jan 2009) - my first explore.
Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2010 1:44 am by budlight

» Firth Vickers, Staybrite Works, Sheffield -Nov 09
Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 6:59 pm by Mexico75

» Hunslet Mills, Leeds - December 2009
Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 1:13 pm by james-dolan

» Thackley Tunnel - 19&22/11/09 (10 Pictures)
Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 12:29 am by sqwasher

» Eastmoor Secure Unit - 05/04/09 - 9 Pictures
Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 1:11 pm by 02006

» Wapping Road First School, Bradford Feb '09 12 snaps
Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 4:10 pm by james-dolan

» Middleton Hospital, Ilkley June 2009 (19 photos)
Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2009 12:53 am by sqwasher

» Middleton Hospital Ilkley 9/8/09 10 pics
Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 12:30 am by sqwasher

» Hunslet & Victoria Mills - Leeds - June 2009
Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 3:02 am by Canonite101

» Lost towers and forgotten ruins, West Yorkshire, July '09 19 snaps
Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 12:23 pm by Rich

» C.F. Booths Rotherham scrap yard
Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 2:58 am by phill.d

» Ballard Hall, Sheffield May '09 8 snaps
Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 4:43 am by Rich

» Elsecar Low Pit May '09 3 pictures
Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2009 5:12 am by meanwood_monks

» Denaby Main Pit Bathouse - South Yorkshire - May 2009
Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 6:33 am by Trousercowboy

Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of Urbex-Leeds - Yorkshire & Leeds Forums on your social bookmarking website

Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
phill.d
UL Member
UL Member
phill.d

Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. Empty
PostSubject: Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain.   Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2008 9:35 am

Having slept in for my original planned visit to Bradford.
It was now my turn to have a go at this well known beast in the world of urban exploration.

The day didn't start of too well. Awwrisp had text me he'd had the stomach bugs all night and couldn't come (Hope your well now mate)
So there I was all kitted up and ready to go, suddenly we were faced with the prospect that we didn't know were to access the tunnel.
Not to worry!! With cool heads we headed off for a Macdonalds breakfast in Leeds and phoned Awwrisp to get an idea were we needed to be.
After about 5 minutes driving around Bradford we found the access point and were in.
Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. 2993530154_e3f106345a
The Yorkshire city of Bradford is well known as the curry capital of Britain.
In the world of urban exploration, It is also known as the drain capital of the North.
Hidden below the city streets runs the Bradford beck. Nicknamed Macro by It's subterranen travellers.
Macro is a fearsome challenge and real twisting supercharger of a drain.
It is the drain that all others are measured by.
Within the labyrinth of tunnels, 2 more systems are spawned, Academy and Pandoras box.
Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. 2993339624_a0ef7c0dc5
We were about to leave the smell of Chicken Tikka's, and Masala's behind to sample the musty stank depths of the beast Macro.
Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. 2993335240_b33034197a
100 years of flash floods have taken there toll, ripped up and battered tunnel fabric leave pot holes, and hazards a plenty for the unwary traveller.
Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. 2993331982_5b2026a7d8

Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. 2992471433_9a3894191b
Hidden beneath Centenery square in Bradford is this magnificent subterranean vaulted arch room as grand as any Cathedral. There were plans to open up this section of beck with the Alsop plan to regenerate the city centre. 'The Bowl' is an ambitious project to open up the beck and create a huge pool to act as the pivotal point of the new city centre.
Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. 2993315720_3864e9fac8
This drain was creating a thuderous roar we could hear from some distance away. It was coming in at a fair old continous rate.
Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. 2993309288_c89ca6d46c

Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. 2992458583_004971a28b
The Bradford beck runs underground, just higher up from the old Odeon cinema, It twists and turns under centenery square before emerging near to Valley parade football ground.
Unusually for a major city, Bradford is not built on any substantial body of water. The ford from which it takes its name 'Broad-Ford' was a crossing of the stream called Bradford Beck. The beck rises in the Pennine hills to the west of the city, and is swelled by tributaries such as Horton Beck, Westbrook, Bowling Beck and Eastbrook. At the site of the original ford, just below the present Bradford Cathedral, it turns north, and flows more or less straight towards the River Aire at Shipley.
The beck's course through the city centre is entirely underground and was mostly so by the middle of the 19th century.
Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. 2992445061_93cf668a48

Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. 2993287638_83f4e9a2ac

Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. 2992427453_a66cecc72a

Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. 2993271356_a1de606b13
Chucky does urbex!
Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. 2993266476_d813ec1cf8

Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. 2993261398_e6751dd220

Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. 2993248628_66c90b0cf6

Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. 2993243586_eff618ec5c
At long last we could get out of this place, daylight was once again ours after 6 long hours underground!
Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. 2993239780_0dca552f39
Having spent nearly 6 hours underground, there was no way we were traversing the tunnels the way we had come. We climbed out at the first opening of the beck, and made a hasty retreat through the centre of Bradford back to the car. At this point in time we didn't care what we looked like. Hot showers, food and coffee was the order of the day!
Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. 2992477603_d760491478
Bradford centenery square nicely lit on a clear Autumnal Saturday evening.
Many Bradfordians are totally unaware of the hidden watery underworld beneath there feet!

A great explore this guys! Dam hard work though.
Cheers!

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/
Rich
UrbexLeeds Regular
UrbexLeeds Regular
Rich

PostSubject: Re: Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain.   Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2008 10:02 am

Excellent work Phil, cracking photographs and a really nice write up. Did you see any rats? Love the people shots in that brick pipe, really cool. How long were you underground? It looks like there were a lot of different types of tunnels there.
Good work mate.
Back to top Go down
phill.d
UL Member
UL Member
phill.d

PostSubject: Re: Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain.   Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2008 10:12 am

Rich wrote:
Excellent work Phil, cracking photographs and a really nice write up. Did you see any rats? Love the people shots in that brick pipe, really cool. How long were you underground? It looks like there were a lot of different types of tunnels there.
Good work mate.
No mate. We were the only rats in the tunnel. It was a well dodgy place to walk, but clean enough compared to some tunnel and drains.
We were in there 5 and a half hours.
I was glad to get out!! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
SamHirst
UL Member
UL Member
SamHirst

PostSubject: Re: Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain.   Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 7:16 am

Great Explore phill Smile I will have to get down there as soon as I can!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/people/samhirst6359/
phill.d
UL Member
UL Member
phill.d

PostSubject: Re: Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain.   Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 1:18 pm

SamHirst wrote:
Great Explore phill Smile I will have to get down there as soon as I can!!
Yeah mate. There's loads more to see. I dunno If I'm in a big rush to go back down. The pictures always make it look easier than It really is. I'm sure the other guys will tell you the same Very Happy

I've a load more pics on my flickr stream now as well.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/sets/72157608568527268/detail/
Back to top Go down
meanwood_monks
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain.   Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 2:21 pm

Nice shots and nice report there mate.
Glad you finally made it down there, it is really good. Although did you come out at your last picture???
If you did you missed quite a bit, although with one car it was probably a wise choice.
Happy Clap
Back to top Go down
https://urbexleeds.forumotion.com
phill.d
UL Member
UL Member
phill.d

PostSubject: Re: Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain.   Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 3:14 pm

meanwood_monks wrote:
Nice shots and nice report there mate.
Glad you finally made it down there, it is really good. Although did you come out at your last picture???
If you did you missed quite a bit, although with one car it was probably a wise choice.
Happy Clap
Yeah mate we bailed out at the bridge pic. I knew there was another bit further down. I guess that's the 2 huge infall tunnels? We'd been in there nearly 6 hours, the batteries were out and we'd had more than enough by then. We needed home comforts by then lol.
I think there's another 2 trips to see all of this yet. I've sussed out were those big stairs are too.
Cheers Very Happy
Back to top Go down
muse
UL Member
UL Member
muse

PostSubject: Re: Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain.   Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 12:50 pm

I'm getting more and more tempted by the thought of venturing underground after seeing some of the photos on here. I've never done anything like this before so if anyone fancies taking a *ehem* 'virgin' along on their next trip, let me know.
Back to top Go down
phill.d
UL Member
UL Member
phill.d

PostSubject: Re: Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain.   Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 4:46 pm

muse wrote:
I'm getting more and more tempted by the thought of venturing underground after seeing some of the photos on here. I've never done anything like this before so if anyone fancies taking a *ehem* 'virgin' along on their next trip, let me know.
lol.. sounds good fun Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain.   Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Subterranean Bradford-The macro drain.
Page 1 of 1