Urbex-Leeds - Yorkshire & Leeds Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome To UrbexLeeds - Leeds & Yorkshire Forums
UrbexLeeds Is Changing.....Please Excuse Our Mess
Register Now To Use The UrbexLeeds Forums
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Anyone feel the need to be MOD?
Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 6:14 pm by meanwood_monks
Been thinking about this for a while now.

Some of you guys/gals have been here since day 1. Cheers for all your support over this time.
Was wondering if anyone was wanting to keep an eye on things and have MOD rights here.

Comments: 15
Latest topics
» Low Mill, Keighley, Dec 08 8 pics and 1 painting
Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 01, 2012 8:37 pm by Herb 'n' Myth

» Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway
Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 5:51 am by phill.d

» Dalton Mills Keighley
Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway I_icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2011 11:46 am by dervish99

» Disused passenger subway, Horbury, Yorks, Jan '09 10 snaps
Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 4:52 pm by Assassini

» The Batley Carr tunnel May '09 9 pictures
Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 4:50 pm by Assassini

» Various tunnels, pipes, caves and orifice related shizzle, West Yorkshire Jan-May 0'9 15 pics
Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 4:46 pm by Assassini

» Epic 12 mile tunnel explore under the Pennines
Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 4:41 pm by Assassini

» Anyone feel the need to be MOD?
Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 1:04 pm by urbexmonks

» Midland Mills Bradford march 2010
Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2010 1:52 pm by COOPSLEEDS

» Thorpe Marsh Doncaster (pic heavy) March 2010
Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2010 1:50 pm by COOPSLEEDS

» Mollett Catering Supplies aka Thompson Mill, Bradford
Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 2:52 pm by Bucolic

» Healey Mills Goods Yard (29 images)
Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 2:51 am by urbexsoiler

» Healey Mills goods yard, Horbury - May '09
Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 4:46 pm by james-dolan

» Mollets - Bradford
Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 11:00 am by james-dolan

» Victoria & Hunslet Mills, Leeds- June 09
Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 10:50 am by Mexico75

» thorpe marsh power station jan 10
Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 3:52 am by Canonite101

» another Eastmoor set (3rd Jan 2009) - my first explore.
Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2010 1:44 am by budlight

» Firth Vickers, Staybrite Works, Sheffield -Nov 09
Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 6:59 pm by Mexico75

» Hunslet Mills, Leeds - December 2009
Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 1:13 pm by james-dolan

» Thackley Tunnel - 19&22/11/09 (10 Pictures)
Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 12:29 am by sqwasher

» Eastmoor Secure Unit - 05/04/09 - 9 Pictures
Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 1:11 pm by 02006

» Wapping Road First School, Bradford Feb '09 12 snaps
Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 4:10 pm by james-dolan

» Middleton Hospital, Ilkley June 2009 (19 photos)
Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2009 12:53 am by sqwasher

» Middleton Hospital Ilkley 9/8/09 10 pics
Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 12:30 am by sqwasher

» Hunslet & Victoria Mills - Leeds - June 2009
Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 3:02 am by Canonite101

» Lost towers and forgotten ruins, West Yorkshire, July '09 19 snaps
Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 12:23 pm by Rich

» C.F. Booths Rotherham scrap yard
Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 2:58 am by phill.d

» Ballard Hall, Sheffield May '09 8 snaps
Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 4:43 am by Rich

» Elsecar Low Pit May '09 3 pictures
Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2009 5:12 am by meanwood_monks

» Denaby Main Pit Bathouse - South Yorkshire - May 2009
Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 6:33 am by Trousercowboy

Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of Urbex-Leeds - Yorkshire & Leeds Forums on your social bookmarking website

Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway

Go down 
AuthorMessage
phill.d
UL Member
UL Member
phill.d

Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway Empty
PostSubject: Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway   Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 5:51 am

I took a look at a little known about railway tunnel in the higher climes of Nidderdale in Yorkshire recently. There is next to nothing documented about Goyden Pot tunnel on the internet. As far as I know these will be the first photos taken inside the tunnel.

Goyden Pot tunnel was built on the Nidd Valley railway in 1921 when construction of Scar House reservoir started. I had intended to take a few shots of the remaining line, but as luck would have it the rain started. Sods law considering we've just had one of the worst early Summer droughts in history. So I'll pad the report out with a few archive shots of the line instead Smile

Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway Aerial-Scar11
Scar House Reservoir

The Nidd Valley Light Railway started life as a 3ft gauge contractor's railway connecting Pateley Bridge with Angram Reservoir constructed as part of the Bradford Corporation Waterworks project. It was taken over by Bradford Corporation and re-laid to standard gauge track, the line opened in 1907. It's worth taking a look at Scar House reservoir on it's own, at one time a self sufficient contractors village was built at the side of the dam. During construction of the reservoir an entire village was constructed just below the dam to house the workforce. The population reached 2,000 and the village had all the amenities they might need. There were 10 large hostels for workmen, 34 semidetached bungalows, 28 houses in 5 blocks and several other buildings. The concrete bases of these buildings are still evident today.
Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway Nidd
The railway’s primary purpose was to carry goods, materials and labour to construction sites high in the Nidd valley, where two large reservoirs were built at Angram (1904-1919) and Scar House (1921-1936)
Passenger trains also ran for the workmen and their families into Pateley Bridge.
Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway 4281422400_c016a6c28c_z
The line was abandoned in 1936 when the reservoirs were complete, the whole track was dismantled by 1937. The line was steeply graded and curved, four locomotives were needed to haul the trains up the summit to Scar House. The line was constructed under the terms of a pre-existing Light Railway Order of 1901, this meant that Bradford Corporation were obliged to operate a public passenger service between Pateley Bridge and Lofthouse. This was the only corporation operated passenger light railway in the country.
Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway 5829154367_84156e7648_z
Moving on 70 years or so and Mother nature has started to reclaim the North West Portal of Goyden Pot tunnel. The tunnel portals themselves are rather unique in being of a concrete construction, there aren't many railway tunnels like this in the U.K. The tunnel was cut through rock to help ease a very sharp, and steeply curved section of track. The track split in two at this point, the arduous climb beyond Lofthouse included this tunnel for uphill trains only, downhill trains avoided it by a passing loop.
Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway 5825496618_f92123e0a6_z
Behold the unknown!
This is the first view you get of the 180 yard (540 feet) long tunnel behind the blocked off portal, the tunnel itself is a real mix of hotchpotch construction. Concrete linings have been poured in sections on top of bare rock, a series of wooden props, and old rails have been embedded in the concrete. This looks to have been attempt to prevent loose rock from falling in the tunnel. The worrying looking pile of rocks in the distance shows some of these have collapsed over the years. The tunnel itself is relatively dry except for a few drips in places, there are no air shafts, or refuges constructed in the tunnel.
Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway 5825103153_c93f5325b3_z
This is the view looking up to the tunnel roof supporting props. The concrete sections are about 15-20 ft long, I'm not really sure why they haven't built a concrete lining down the whole length of tunnel in this area, the second half of the tunnel is all concrete lined. The far support on the left is actually narrow gauge railway track, the line originally started out as a 3ft narrow gauge railway, but it was relaid as standard gauge track in 1907. The old narrow gauge track, and sleepers were salvaged, and can be seen supporting various areas throughout the tunnel.
Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway 5825687632_a41bc8ea98_z
From this view it's pretty evident to see just how steep the climb, and curve of this tunnel is, no wonder four engines were needed to get the trains up here. The tunnel is relatively dry, and in good condition at this point. Sections of patched brickwork has been used to build up the uneven rockface.
Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway 5825079635_2b40a591e0_z
Here is another roof prop support section, four lengths of narrow gauge track have been embedded in the concrete, old wooden sleepers, and logs make for a rather flimsy looking structure.
Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway 5825040009_15604d76a3_z
This is not the end
It is not even the beginning of the end. but it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning!

Well actually Goyden Pot isn't a very long tunnel, but you can't beat a good Churchillian quote now and again. What strikes me about this tunnel is how confined and narrow it feels for a standard gauge track, there certainly isn't much clearance between train and tunnel.
Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway 5824977627_2cd8395835_z
The tunnel is all concrete lined in the last section, bigger areas of brickwork have been patched between the bare rock. I'm also surprised the railway went to the trouble, and cost of building this tunnel for 15 years service. The original curvature, and grade of the track must have been very problematic for them to do so.
Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway 5829154371_1840e6cb4a_z
Nothing of great merit on the next two shots really, just a bit of back light on this one to try do something a bit arty.
Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway 5829154353_6535912e75_z
And everyone seems to do one of these shots when underground. My co explorer wearing very long socks makes for a fine silhouette of a man Smile
Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway 5825089553_d7feb8e674_z
On first glance this looked an unusual pattern on the tunnel floor created by drips from the roof.
It wasn't until you stood on it that you realised it was solid. Lime calcites have dripped into the tunnel to create this very delicate looking pattern. It may have looked delicate, but no amount of scuffing it with your foot made any impact.
Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway 5825234351_ae3f87980f_z
It always feels a little bit strange stood on the wrong side of a tunnel portal.
This is the view of the South portal from inside the tunnel, occasionally we could here some passing hill walkers go by oblivious to us being down here.
Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway 5825225961_4067eff451_z
Close up detail of the South portal.
Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway 5825225965_2c3082a769_z
I'm not sure what the stack of railway sleepers are doing here, they certainly weren't part of the original line abandoned way back in 1936.
Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway 5888300987_2cca84248b
Map layout of the tunnel and tunnel avoiding line.
Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway 5862135549_d7db6dfd84
Archive shot of the South portal, you can see the course of the original line heading straight on. The setting out of the 180 yard long tunnel was made difficult owing to the trees on the hill above. The tunnel eased the original curve and was used by trains climbing uphill, trains ascending down the valley usually bypassed the tunnel. The original curved track had been difficult for heavy trains, especially when carrying lengthy timber. From Lofthouse to Scar House reservoir the gradients ranged between 1 in 40 and 1 in 70.
Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway 4281608438_66bc3d9f18_z
And an archive 1928 shot of one of the passenger trains in service further down the valley.
Ex GWR railcar 'Hill makes the descent from Ramsgill approaching Wath station.

All in all Goyden Pot is a nice little jolly, the area is very scenic and well worth a visit (if it's not raining) Smile

Some more info on this little line can be seen here
http://www.aucu61.dsl.pipex.com/Nidd%20Valley%20Light%20Railway.htm

The building of Scar House reservoir
http://www.nidderdaleaonb.org.uk/pdf/Scar%20House%20%20History.pdf

And one of the locos that worked the line is currently undergoing restoration work here
http://www.embsayboltonabbeyrailway.org.uk/illing.html
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway
Page 1 of 1