Urbex-Leeds - Yorkshire & Leeds Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome To UrbexLeeds - Leeds & Yorkshire Forums
UrbexLeeds Is Changing.....Please Excuse Our Mess
Register Now To Use The UrbexLeeds Forums
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Anyone feel the need to be MOD?
THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 6:14 pm by meanwood_monks
Been thinking about this for a while now.

Some of you guys/gals have been here since day 1. Cheers for all your support over this time.
Was wondering if anyone was wanting to keep an eye on things and have MOD rights here.

Comments: 15
Latest topics
» Low Mill, Keighley, Dec 08 8 pics and 1 painting
THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 01, 2012 8:37 pm by Herb 'n' Myth

» Goyden Pot tunnel/Nidd Valley railway
THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 5:51 am by phill.d

» Dalton Mills Keighley
THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture I_icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2011 11:46 am by dervish99

» Disused passenger subway, Horbury, Yorks, Jan '09 10 snaps
THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 4:52 pm by Assassini

» The Batley Carr tunnel May '09 9 pictures
THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 4:50 pm by Assassini

» Various tunnels, pipes, caves and orifice related shizzle, West Yorkshire Jan-May 0'9 15 pics
THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 4:46 pm by Assassini

» Epic 12 mile tunnel explore under the Pennines
THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 4:41 pm by Assassini

» Anyone feel the need to be MOD?
THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 1:04 pm by urbexmonks

» Midland Mills Bradford march 2010
THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2010 1:52 pm by COOPSLEEDS

» Thorpe Marsh Doncaster (pic heavy) March 2010
THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2010 1:50 pm by COOPSLEEDS

» Mollett Catering Supplies aka Thompson Mill, Bradford
THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 2:52 pm by Bucolic

» Healey Mills Goods Yard (29 images)
THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 2:51 am by urbexsoiler

» Healey Mills goods yard, Horbury - May '09
THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 4:46 pm by james-dolan

» Mollets - Bradford
THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 11:00 am by james-dolan

» Victoria & Hunslet Mills, Leeds- June 09
THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 10:50 am by Mexico75

» thorpe marsh power station jan 10
THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 3:52 am by Canonite101

» another Eastmoor set (3rd Jan 2009) - my first explore.
THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2010 1:44 am by budlight

» Firth Vickers, Staybrite Works, Sheffield -Nov 09
THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 6:59 pm by Mexico75

» Hunslet Mills, Leeds - December 2009
THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 1:13 pm by james-dolan

» Thackley Tunnel - 19&22/11/09 (10 Pictures)
THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 12:29 am by sqwasher

» Eastmoor Secure Unit - 05/04/09 - 9 Pictures
THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 1:11 pm by 02006

» Wapping Road First School, Bradford Feb '09 12 snaps
THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 4:10 pm by james-dolan

» Middleton Hospital, Ilkley June 2009 (19 photos)
THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2009 12:53 am by sqwasher

» Middleton Hospital Ilkley 9/8/09 10 pics
THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 12:30 am by sqwasher

» Hunslet & Victoria Mills - Leeds - June 2009
THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 3:02 am by Canonite101

» Lost towers and forgotten ruins, West Yorkshire, July '09 19 snaps
THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 12:23 pm by Rich

» C.F. Booths Rotherham scrap yard
THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 2:58 am by phill.d

» Ballard Hall, Sheffield May '09 8 snaps
THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 4:43 am by Rich

» Elsecar Low Pit May '09 3 pictures
THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2009 5:12 am by meanwood_monks

» Denaby Main Pit Bathouse - South Yorkshire - May 2009
THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 6:33 am by Trousercowboy

Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of Urbex-Leeds - Yorkshire & Leeds Forums on your social bookmarking website

THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Trousercowboy
UrbexLeeds Regular
UrbexLeeds Regular
Trousercowboy

THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture Empty
PostSubject: THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture   THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 11:22 am

Big thanks to Scally for finding this place and joining me for an explore yesterday evening. The Grange Nursing Home is in a residential part of Stamford Bridge, but nestled in amongst the trees on a one and half acre plot it must have been a nice place to live at some point in its history. I haven't been able to find a great deal of info about the place but here's what I do have:

It was built c.1880 by a Frederick Wright, a red-brick and slate Gothic-style mansion originally called 'Derwent Hill'. Our Fred, according to 'Bulmer's Directory of 1892' worked as a Magistrate and was also a 'Public Vaccinator' for the Pocklington Union. The Union was made up of 48 local Parishes and Townships and was formed under the New Poor Law of 1834 (I think?), designed to 'administrate measures to deal with the poor'. Sadly I couldn't find anything else about the house at this time, although the stained glass window (see below) does say it was damaged by a fire and restored in 1898.

Not sure what happened in the next 50 years but in 1952 it became a county council old people's home. It seems the place was still being used as a nursing home up to about 4 years ago, maybe even less, the recent fire damage is pretty extensive and it's been trashed by kids and weather. According to the estate agent's sales details the fire damage has meant the building has become 'de-listed'. This makes me suspicious about the cause of the fire - the home was originally for 30 or so residents, new plans have gone forward to re-use the footprint for a new nursing home, big enough for 60 people (obviously knocking down the once listed building)...maybe I'm being cynical, you tell me!?

Whilst we were looking around I heard some kids outside saying "there's never anyone in here", in comes a chubby girl, so being a polite chap I give her a breezy "Hullo", she didn't even look my way and just fled! I like to think that I've prevented an unwanted pregnancy in Stamford Bridge, or at least a nasty case of chlamydia!

Externals:

THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture TheGrangeNursingHome118

THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture TheGrangeNursingHome120

Detail around the front door archway

THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture TheGrangeNursingHome123

THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture TheGrangeNursingHome115

The fire was pretty extensive

THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture TheGrangeNursingHome001

THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture TheGrangeNursingHome003

THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture TheGrangeNursingHome002

The pitch black basement was filled with old folks 'devices'

THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture TheGrangeNursingHome017

THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture TheGrangeNursingHome026

And there were armchairs everywhere...

THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture TheGrangeNursingHome029

A panic button still in it's wrapper

THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture TheGrangeNursingHome033

The no doubt well used Stanner stair lift, never more to aid an arthritic stair climber

THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture TheGrangeNursingHome066

Smoke damage and mould on some snazzy wallpaper

THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture TheGrangeNursingHome048

Stained glass window harking back to the previous fire some 110 years ago

THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture TheGrangeNursingHome064

The front door

THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture TheGrangeNursingHome057

Did i mention armchairs?

THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture TheGrangeNursingHome068

The newer part of the building was the most knackered, having no roof meant there was moss everywhere and very dodgy floors

THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture TheGrangeNursingHome089

Finally a shot from the roof of the small spire

THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture TheGrangeNursingHome100

And I found this somewhere in the bowels of Google...

A pensioner in an East Yorkshire nursing home almost missed out on celebrating her 100th birthday today because of a mix-up over her age.
Staff at the Grange Nursing Home in Stamford Bridge thought Lillian Boggitt was 96 until a visit from a pensions official.
The official told staff Mrs Boggitt was 100 and the visit was to check if she was in good enough health to receive a letter from the Queen.
The York Evening Press says Mrs Boggitt has been at the home since 1999 and is a widow with no other family.
Matron manager Judith Seagust believes her date of birth had been incorrectly logged at some point leading to the confusion.
The home threw a surprise 100th birthday party after discovering the error.
"Lillian is an absolute joy and we all love her to bits. She used to play a lot of golf - it is golf and cups of tea which are her recipe for a long life, " said Judith.
Laughing

Cheers, TC
Back to top Go down
Rich
UrbexLeeds Regular
UrbexLeeds Regular
Rich

PostSubject: Re: THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture   THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 12:24 pm

Mate, that place looks awesome, really nice external shots too. Congratulations on your hard work at lowering the birth rate amongst scrubbers.
Back to top Go down
Trousercowboy
UrbexLeeds Regular
UrbexLeeds Regular
Trousercowboy

PostSubject: Re: THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture   THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 2:36 pm

Cheer Rich, you could say I'm photographic and prophylactic!
Back to top Go down
PROJ3CTM4YH3M

PROJ3CTM4YH3M

PostSubject: Re: THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture   THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 4:36 pm

We love this place did a huge set on it on DP.
should check it out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture   THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

THe Grange Nursing Home - Stamford Bridge - 18 picture
Page 1 of 1